[TUHS] Determining what was on a tape back in the day

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Mon Nov 20 04:35:58 AEST 2017

When reading magtapes, or any tapes for that matter, I usually dd the
"files" on the tape into separate files on disk. This doesn't preserve
the actual blocking factor on the tape, but I used other methods to
determine that - usually experimenting with dd and small block sizes
until I got to the point where it no longer errors.

One of my favorite pastimes was to read until the soft EOT (usually a
double EOF), and then do a "mt fsf". Depending on the tape drive, this
could advance the tape beyond the soft EOT where more data might be
saved. The idea being that a tape had been overwritten from the
beginning, but with less data overall.

So it would look like this: |data|EOF|data|EOF|data|EOT|short
data|EOF|data|EOF|data|EOT|blank|Hard-EOT

I used this method to rescue a TOPS-10 6.03A install monitor from a
backup set that was past the soft EOT on one of my own personal tapes.
I've rescued a lot of other data that way too.

For anyone reading old tapes, I implore you to attempt to read data past
the soft EOT ;)