[TUHS] Determining what was on a tape back in the day

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Mon Nov 20 08:38:53 AEST 2017

> The early Sun boxes used to hang when rewinding the cartridge tape, because
> the controller didn't release the Multibus; the stingy Lionel Singer used to
> sell the 3/50 as cheap servers...

The Convergent Tech MiniFrame had a similar bug with the QIC tape drive.
If you sent it an interrupt during a rewind (e.g. ^C a cpio after the
extract was done, but before the rewind/close finished), it would block
the tape device from any further use.

That was my first expedition into non-API UNIX kernel hacking, writing a
program that would reach into the kernel to clear the 'busy' bit on the
tape device.

--lyndon