[TUHS] UNIX on S/370

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Mon Nov 20 13:50:48 AEST 2017

Nemo <cym224 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Recent commentary on porting led me to read the article on porting
> UNIX to S/370 (https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/otherports/ibm.pdf)
> to support 5ESS development because the existing PDP11s were being
> overwhelmed.  I confess to not having this read this before and find
> it interesting.  Any recollections from anyone on the matter.  And
> whatever happened to it?
>
> N.

That article (as noted) was originally published in the Bell System
Technical Journal special issue on UNIX.

The System III manuals say something like "UNIX is an operating system
for DEC PDP-11, Vax 11/780 and IBM S/370 computers" so at least within
the Bell System, the S/370 was supported.

It does not seem to have been released to the world, which is a shame;
it may be because of the underlying I/O supervisor which was a modified
IBM OS.

Arnold