[TUHS] UNIX on S/370

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Tue Nov 21 05:59:40 AEST 2017

Who knows if it will go anywhere.  I got dragged out of retirement with
hints of piles of money, so far, they loaned me a box.

I believe the likely target for this would be AMD's Epyc.  They have already
pushed one box to serve up about 100Gbit/sec of movies and that's with them
doing TLS in the kernel; be faster if they could get the NIC to do that.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15367421

The limiting factor, so far as I can tell, is memory BW and PCIe lanes.
Epyc seems to deliver more of that.

--
---