[TUHS] UNIX on S/370

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Tue Nov 21 08:56:27 AEST 2017

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 12:27:25PM -0700, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
>> Any idea what Linux/370 does?  I think it runs on bare iron.
>
> Pretty sure that's correct, we used to run Linux/370 on simulator to
> build BitKeeper images for it.  I don't remember any VM stuff.

When I was at IBM, I had a few customers running the product I supported
under Linux on z, and what wikipedia says matches my memory of it being
able to run either on metal or as a VM:

   Linux runs on standard, general purpose mainframe CPs (Central
   Processors) as well as IFLs (Integrated Facility for Linux). IFLs are
   mainframe processors dedicated to running Linux, either natively or
   under a hypervisor (z/VM or KVM on z). Microcode restricts IFLs from
   running "traditional" workloads, such as z/OS, but they are physically
   identical to other z System processors. IFLs are typically less
   expensive to acquire from IBM than CPs.

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX