[TUHS] UNIX on S/370

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Nov 21 13:29:14 AEST 2017

On 11/20/2017 06:15 PM, Ron Natalie wrote:
> AIX deflected all this by actually making the user facing stuff hang off
> the i860/i386 nodes.

Does that mean that you couldn't access AIX/370 from a traditional
mainframe terminal?

That seems bizarre to me.  But it does sound like some other strange
things I've heard come out of IBM before.

> I remember talking extensively to Barry Appleman (VM’s TCP IP guY) about
> writing an X3270 xterm variant.

What would that have done?  Are you meaning an app that would run on
non-AIX/370 OSs that could then act similar to the i860/i386 client /
node?  (Was it trying to emulate a traditional serial dumb terminal?)

#confused

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die