[TUHS] UNIX on S/370

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Nov 21 13:46:06 AEST 2017

On 11/20/2017 08:40 PM, Ron Natalie wrote:
> I'm pretty sure you could, but only on very rudimentary line mode stuff.

*nod*

> Note that an IBM mainframe terminal doesn't really have the same paradigm
> as an ASCII terminal.

Ya....  From what (little) I know about 3270 (and 5250 for AS/400s?)
reminds me of HTML forms with the mainframe as the web server and the
terminal as the client web browser.  What with the mainframe sending
[protected,hidden] fields to the terminal that displayed them and
trusted what the terminal sent back.  *headshake*  Times were different.
  I am guessing that there is also security through obscurity based on
what information was available at the time.

> You could go to a VM monitor and type IPL AIX and watch UNIX boot up.

I wonder if USS / OMVS terminal ~ application on more modern mainframes
still run into issues.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die