[TUHS] UNIX on S/370

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed Nov 22 03:23:14 AEST 2017

FWIW:  The one sad thing I look back one and fear was a the greatest
contribution of TNC that was lost was Vprocs - the virtual process layer,
that Roman and I created - originally for the Paragon and HP systems.   We
took a tip from Sun's VFS layer and said what we really need is a layer the
kernel with new interface to allow virtual process technology.  They you
can support a number of different types of interfaces the same way you can
support different file systems.

We spliced had it running is OSF1, HP-UX, Linux (2.4), SVR4, an Apple
kernel and had started putting into an Solaris for one of the super
computer firms (I've forgotten now whom).   I started putting it into a
FreeBSD release at one point, but was over whelmed by other kernel changes
and just could not keep up with he mainline - it been on my 'to do.'      I
think that's why OpenSSI gave up.      Unless Linus really got excited it
was not going be able to stay in on the side.

Which is a shame because once you put the changes in, to support the vproc
layer, then its easier to make changes of course because you have a clean
interface.   As I said, just like VFS cleaned up the file system and i-node
layer and removed a bunch of stuff that had bleed into the places in the
kernel it really did not belong.   The same is true for the process layer
and some of the other UNIX name spaces (semaphores, systemV shared memory,
etc..).   Vproc really cleaned that up.