[TUHS] A man easter-egg (gimme gimme gimme)

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Wed Nov 22 18:48:30 AEST 2017

Edouard KLEIN <edouardklein at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you have any UNIX easter-egg stories ? Putting some in, or discovering
> one...

I suspect that Easter Eggs are more common in Open Source / Free Software,
where people feel free to "play" on stuff they do for fun / as volunteers.
Try:

	gawk --nostalgia

sometime. :-)  For a long time setting WHINY_USER in the environment
caused gawk to loop over arrays in sorted index order. That's long gone,
now that it can be done under program control.

> Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 10:00:42 +1100 (EST)
> From: Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org>
> Subject: Re: [TUHS] A man easter-egg (gimme gimme gimme)
> > first circulated, or was it frowned upon ?
>
> As a former developer and manager, I would be really pissed off if my
> programmers wasted their time on writing useless frippery instead of
> quality code, and I would certainly have a little chat with them...

I think that this is totally appropriate for code being developed
for a paid product.

Arnold