[TUHS] Spell - was tmac: Move macro diagnostics away from `quotes'

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Sat Nov 25 04:06:46 AEST 2017

Ralph Corderoy <ralph at inputplus.co.uk> writes today:

>> Is https://archive.org/details/bstj-archives what you're after?

Thanks for uncovering that!  I'll add links to it shortly in all of
the Bell Labs journal family bibliography files.

I prepared the family's BibTeX bibliographies in December 2010,
according to my revision history logs, and e-mail archives of
exchanges with a Bell Labs researcher.  At that time, I had access to
the full collection of PDFs, but out of concern for local disk space,
and the (now mistaken) belief that they would continue to be available
at Bell Labs/Lucent, I did not mirror them to Utah.

I made the same mistake with the two IBM journals whose archives
disappeared behind the IEEE pay wall.  Sigh...

P.S. In 1990, we filled a dumpster with 9-track tapes that we had to
abandon because of our move to new hardware that lacked such a drive,
and because our new disk system had insufficent disk space to preserve
their contents.

I have since regretted that decision many times, because a lot of
stuff was lost forever.

The maximum capacity of 6250-bpi 9-track tapes was about 100MB to
170MB.  A thousand such tapes would have needed just 100GB to 170GB,
an amount of space that I can now buy in Utah for about US$4 (based on
a local store offering of $94 for a 4TB USB-3 attached disk about the
size of a paperback thriller).