[TUHS] TCP/IP networking in 8th edition unix

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Sat Nov 25 09:52:00 AEST 2017

Found a post by dmr about this in the 'net.unix-wizards' newsgroup:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/net.unix-wizards/subject$3Astreams/net.unix-wizards/b7W_j_0qASU

It would seem that my understanding of it is indeed how dmr designed it.

At the end of the post there is an example: "For example, from my machine, I can type "rlogin purdy" and connect to a Sequent machine running 4.2; the TCP connection goes over Datakit to machine "research" where it is gatewayed to a local ethernet that purdy is connected to."

I'm not quite sure how on the Sequent machine the Datakit channel would be hooked up to the 4.2BSD TCP stack. Perhaps something equivalent to e.g. 'SLiRP' was used, perhaps there was a pseudo device that hooked into the network interface layer.

Paul

Begin forwarded message: