[TUHS] TCP/IP networking in 8th edition unix

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Mon Nov 27 07:28:02 AEST 2017

Thanks for explaining that. I think it may be for 10th edition though.

I searched for ipcopen() and 'gated' in the 8th edition source and could
not find them. In that search I did find a few bits that strongly suggest that
IP over Datakit was what was used in late '85 (when dmr posted about this).

In /usr/src/cmd/inet/READ_ME there is an example configuration that seems
to match with dmr's example. In that file an IP over a Datakit channel
appears to be configured.
(see http://chiselapp.com/user/pnr/repository/v8unix/artifact/6d09b05c7f06a2cc?ln=119-120)

The program 'dkipconfig' sets up a circuit and pushes the IP discipline on
the stream, both on the local end and on the remote end. It sets fixed local
and remote addresses, much the same as with a 'slip' line.
(see http://chiselapp.com/user/pnr/repository/v8unix/artifact/6c5f3267b58721a6?ln=78,91)