[TUHS] Harvard and Von Neumann Architectures and Unix

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Nov 28 00:50:04 AEST 2017

Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:

> In my naive understanding, the PDP-11 itself, with the Unibus and
> apparently agnostic ISA seem to summarily reject the Harvard
> Architecure...
>
> My question is - was there tension around Harvard and Von Neumann
> architectures in Unix circles and if so, how was it resolved?

Well, there were PDP-11 models with split instruction and data address
spaces, so you could address 64K of code and 64K of data without overlays.

Tony.
Shannon, Rockall, Malin, Hebrides, Bailey: North or northwest 5 to 7,
occasionally gale 8 except in Shannon. Rough or very rough, occasionally
moderate. Squally showers. Good.