[TUHS] Unix on PDP8?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Thu Nov 30 09:12:42 AEST 2017

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017, Warren Toomey wrote:

>> You could start with (an early) Minix, I guess; we ran it on a PDT (I
>> think) with 2 x RX-05 floppies.  Slow, but it worked, sort of.
>
> You mean Xinu, perhaps? Minix was always an 80x86 and 680x0 system.

Can't remember; we're talking late 70s / early 80s, and my organic
associative memory ain't the best these days.  I was busy running a
network of 11/40s, squeezing as much of V7 into V6 as I could, and talking
the poxy UT-200 protocol for RJE (the original purpose of our 11/40s) with
its broken implementation on the Cyber 72.

Damn; I wish I still had those CSU tapes, but they'd be unreadable by now
(IMHO my "ei.c" driver was a work of art).

> Of course, you could always go retro and try Mini Unix :)

That rings a bell; we're talking about the early UNSW Unix days (CSU,
AGSM, Basser, Elec Eng, etc).