[TUHS] Favorite UNIX

Derrik Walker v2.0 dwalker at doomd.net
Mon Oct 2 02:37:07 AEST 2017

On 09/28/2017 10:58 PM, Kevin Bowling wrote:
> What is your favorite UNIX.  Three possible categories, choose one or more:
> 1) Free
> 2) Forced to use a commercial platform.  I guess that could include
> macOS and z/OS with some vivid imagination, maybe even NT.
> 3) Historical
1) Linux - not the greatest, by far, but it gets the job done and pays
the bills ( in my case, anyway ). And it still has good long term
viability, as of 2017, anyway.

2) Solaris - Sun finally got it right starting with Solaris 7, and it
just got better from there.  I ran it for many, many years on my Home
Ultra 5.
Really sad to see what Oracle did to it! I use to have boss say that
Solaris was the UNIX geek's UNIX, he might be right ( altho these days
that's probably BSD ).

3) Irix - Not the best UNIX, but damn, those workstations it ran on WERE
the best.  I miss my Indigo R4K/Elan almost as much as I do my Ultra 5
with Solaris 9 on it!

--
-- Derrik

Derrik Walker v2.0, RHCE
dwalker at doomd.net

"Those UNIX guys, they think weird!" -- John C. Dvorak