Favorite UNIX

Don Hopkins don at DonHopkins.com
Mon Oct 2 04:13:56 AEST 2017

> On 1 Oct 2017, at 19:51, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> From: Don Hopkins
>
>> Solaris: so bad I left the company.
>
> Why was Solaris so much worse than SunOS?
>
> I guess the Sun management didn't understand that was the case? Or were they
> so hot for the AT+T linkup that they were willing to live with it?
>
> 	Noel

[I recently posted this to the hacker news discussion about the death of solaris…]

Remember the poster they were giving out at Usenix with a picture of the BSD Tie Fighter blowing up the AT&T Death Star, and the mathematical formulation "4.x > V for all values of x from zero to infinity”?

It just didn't make sense that Sun kicked AT&T's ass with BSD Unix, and then capitulated to them by switching over to SVR4.

Yeah, yeah, I'm sure there was some business reason, but it was a bitter pill to swallow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_wars

-Don