SunOS to Solaris - why?

Ian Zimmerman itz at very.loosely.org
Mon Oct 2 14:04:48 AEST 2017

On 2017-10-01 17:38, Larry McVoy wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 01, 2017 at 12:59:42PM -0400, Arthur Krewat via TUHSmangle wrote:
> > From Sun's point of view, what was the REAL reason to move from
> > SunOS to Solaris?

> As I've said elsewhere, Sun was out of money.  AT&T bought $200m of
> Sun stock at 35% over market but Sun had to dump SunOS and got to
> SVR4.
>
> I don't know if Scooter knew what he was dumping or not, I suspect not
> but all those late nights when he came over to egg us kernel geeks on,
> maybe he did know.  I don't think he had a choice.

I seem to be missing one or two messages per day on this list to
complete the threads.  No big deal, but I'm a perfectionist and it
grates.

The message by Arthur to which Larry was replying had been one of the
missing ones.  I have checked my MTA log and there is no trace of the
Message-ID of Arthur's message.  So it is definitely _not_ the case that
I received it but it went "into the spam bin".

As far as I can tell I'm on the "non-mangled" part of the team.