Favorite UNIX

Kevin Bowling kevin.bowling at kev009.com
Mon Oct 2 21:52:41 AEST 2017

Bryan’s talks are unparalleled entertainment, but it’s hard for me not to
laugh at some of this with the benefit of more time passage.

There’s a lot of clean code worthy of inspection in Illumos, but I think
it’s bordering on the threshold of a historical project.  Key subsystems
like the VM and network stack have seen little development since 2009.  Sun
was a giant benevolent benefactor and nobody’s filled the void of working
on general infrastructure.

My gut feeling is Sun’s early ‘90s choices were inevitable death wish.
I’ve had the unsettling thoughts lately that Sun after this era was a
brilliant marketing company more so than anything else.