Mangled and non-mangled TUHS mail lists

David Ryskalczyk d235j.1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 23:34:18 AEST 2017

Unfortunately if DKIM is to be preserved, and the DKIM signature covers the Subject line (which it usually does), changing the Subject would break the signature and cause the bouncing problem to start happening again.

Looking at Warren's message at the beginning of this thread, I see the following DKIM signature:

	t=1506828345; bh=JrrWTXe8/s8WUvyQhbjteoiXK8kMtqkyNHZyzoe+YwE=;
	h=Date:From:To:Subject:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:List-Archive:
	 List-Post:List-Help:List-Subscribe:From;
	b=1bchv7u0p3glxS5aOdV2a2LcTPR/UNiVdxne762fZ8jTn8/PY6UDE0CEqfP1rS20G
	 t6uVy6iNk/xoDDKPeKGH4Tt8lSKqujoN682dKcAkHsM8/1ADamNo9ep/J7qiLUQIm7
	 62+lEKp7NZL8zsA2H+5iXtlcuKKIWJ3cTvhdhFLA=

This means that changing any of the headers listed under h= will break the signature (and cause bounces). This unfortunately includes the Subject.

For lists the alter the From: line, I prefer if they put the original From: address in the Cc: line as that means a reply-all goes both to the list and the originator. However I'm not sure whether this will cause DKIM issues as well (I haven't dug deep enough).

There's some discussion of this in RFC6377, unfortunately without a good solution given.

David