[TUHS] New PDF version of Installing and Using Research Unix Version 7 In the SimH PDP-11/45 and 11/70 Emulators

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 03:34:36 AEST 2017

Gregg,

I'm not sure I understand your question exactly, but as mentioned in the
note, I tested the instructions on Mac OS X Mavericks through MacOS High
Sierra as well as multiple flavors of FreeBSD 10-11. Your comment
sparked my interest in trying it out on Windows (maybe that's the OS
non-grata?), so I tested it there as well. Seems to work, although I
found the experience distasteful in the extreme . The number of tools
missing on that OS are mind boggling... but I did get it working. In
full disclosure, I couldn't bring myself to run it on metal. I just ran
the Windows  8.1 Enterprise environment in a VM running on Linux Mint
18.2 (a debian/ubuntu variant).

Just so you know, I have to have a *nix like set of tools on any OS I
use, these days, or I feel like my left arm is missing, so the minimal
workable set for me in this case was Git with unix tools (a version on
MinGW, I think). I used to use Cygwin, but it's so bloated it's
sickening and the installer is unfriendly to say the least (I would be
satisfied with a button that said "reasonable set of unix tools", but
the minimal selection is minimalist, not reasonable). Anyhow, Git with
unix tools will get you a bash shell that has an almost reasonable set
of tools. Enough the do the work required for this note anyway. SimH has
binaries for windows to download. I picked the one that was created 29
days ago, unzipped it, put it on the path and it just worked. Quite a
few steps in the prep required minor tweakage (no vi, no emacs - see
what I mean about minimal not being reasonable, but notepad++ worked ok;
no gunzip, but gzip -d < zipfile > unzipped worked, perl script didn't
seem to work right, not sure what that's about - may look into it later,
since I wrote it, but in the meantime I just downloaded the tap file
from the archive and it worked fine)...

Bottom line for windows, download the tap file from the archive, create
two ini files, one for first boot, the other for normal boot and the
rest of the instructions work verbatim.

I haven't bothered with linux, just cuz I somehow didn't, but I gather
it will probably work about as well as on the BSD's.

Is that what you were asking, or something more subtle?

Regards,
Will

--
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF