[TUHS} Running V8 ...

Doug McIlroy doug at cs.dartmouth.edu
Mon Oct 16 21:58:40 AEST 2017

> How realistic would the experience be to actually running the system
> described in the Unix Programming Environment [v8] if it's actually
running > BSD 4.1... Thanks for any insights y'all might have on this.

This question bears on a recent thread about favorite flavors of Unix. My
favorite flavor is Universal Unix, namely the stuff that just works
everywhere. That's essentially what K&P is about.

That's also what allowed me to use a giant Cray with no instruction
whatsoever. And to do everyday "programmering" on the previously
inscrutable Macintosh, thanks to OS X.

The advent of non-typewriter input put a damper on Universal Unix. One has
to learn something to get started with a novel device. I am impressed,
though, by the breadth of Universal Unix that survives behind those
disparate facades.