[TUHS} Running V8 ...

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Oct 17 02:28:23 AEST 2017

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> This question bears on a recent thread about favorite flavors of Unix. My
> favorite flavor is Universal Unix, namely the stuff that just works
> everywhere. That's essentially what K&P is about.

​+1 I would add, to me that's what the 'standardization' efforts were
really about as a >>user<<.   To settle on the minimum subset needed to the
get the job do and stop adding 'sugar' because you could.​  The ISVs wanted
to maximize (SPEC1170 et al), but to me 'Universal' was what do I really
need/use every day.

In fact, its why I switch from EMACS to vi early in my UNIX career.   Vi
and (ed) were everywhere (K&P style).  EMACS was not and if I found a
flavor for that system, it was always 'different.'  I could sit down at
anything from MS-DOS to a Cray and stuff worked well enough that I could do
what I needed to do.  [I'm not a great fan of "vim" for that reason either
BTW -- I just want the basics to 'be there' and 'be reliable' - do what I
want without me having to rethink].