ARPANET Information Brochure (December 1985)

Don Hopkins don at DonHopkins.com
Tue Oct 17 02:44:33 AEST 2017

On 16 Oct 2017, at 18:09, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

Don't forget the cost of the IMP itself was just the beginning.  The fees to 'TPC' for the 1/2 duplex 9600 serial lines in those days were very, very expensive.   DARPA paid for them for each site in a large deal it had with AT&T.    I don't remember where I saw it, but what sticks out in my mind for those days was that cost of a site (host) on the ARPAnet was approx $125K / year per host in an ARPA grant.

Which really explains 'security.' In practice nobody was going to risk letting just anyone hack their system so much that it put the site at risk.   Truth is we did not try to break in because we all had access, but if it you needed a $.5-2M PDP-10 to connect to the internet, a free IMP slot (each IMP supplied 4) and the leases on the wires.  So it was just not practical to think like we do today, much less act that way.

It was not so much security by obscurity, as security by practical economics.  Moore's law, Ethernet and cheap processing power is what blow that up.

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 11:38 AM, Don Hopkins <don at donhopkins.com <mailto:don at donhopkins.com>> wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVth6T3gMa0 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVth6T3gMa0>

I love the way that geeky guy smugly rubs his hands together, leans back and chuckles when he say “We have our very own IMP. (Huh, huh huh, sigh.)”

I would totally chuckle that way if I had my own IMP.

-Don

My uncle worked at the German Space Operations Center, which had DATEX-P, so I asked a mailing list about how to connect with him, and got some interesting replies that give a glimpse of the topologies and costs of the time:

-Don