basic tools / Universal Unix

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at hamartun.priv.no
Tue Oct 17 04:16:31 AEST 2017

Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> writes:

> When I answer questions on quora about learning Linux and other UNIX
> derivative, I still point them at their book: *The Unix Programming
> Environment*

I never got around to reading that book until I'd been a sysadmin for
about twenty years, and it was still a revelation.  I thought I'd just
skim through it to sort of check it off the list, but I ended up
learning a lot of great stuff.

That one, and Kernighan and Pike: "The Practice of Programming", are two
books I keep recommending to people.

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay