ARPANET Information Brochure (December 1985)

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Tue Oct 17 12:00:36 AEST 2017

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 08:44:02PM -0400, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>     > From: Larry McVoy
>
>     > I was told, by someone that I don't remember, that uwisc was the 11th
>     > node on the net. ... If anyone can confirm or deny that I'd love to know.
>
> There's a copy of the July '77 revision of the HOSTS.TXT file as an appendix
> here:
>
>   http://www.walden-family.com/dave/archive/bbn-tip-man.txt
>
> The IMPs are numbered in order of deployment; so UCLA is #1, SRI is #2, Utah
> is #4, BBN is #5, etc.
>
> I don't see Wisconsin in the list at all. Maybe the person meant CSNET?

I dunno.  That 1985 map has uwisc in there and I know from being there
that they were in because they were doing a lot of useful work, there
was the uwisc-bsd+NFS release, there was the uwisc bsd port to the IBM
rt, I watched Joe Moran do a port of BSD to a 68K in a couple of days
(literally, he stayed up for 2 days and got it to work), uwisc was the
shit back in the day.  I'm not bragging because of me, I was nobody,
but a lot of somebodies came out of uwisc.  Most of them went to Sun.
Joe went on to do the SunOS 4.x VM system which to this day I have not
seen a better one.

So maybe they weren't the 11th IMP on the net.  I dunno, I do know
that someone told me that.

I do know that prior to the net there was uucp and ....!uwisc was a
useful prefix like ...!rutgers and ...!ucbvax.

I think they were in the mix.  11th?  Dunno, just what I've been told.

--lm