[TUHS] basic tools / Universal Unix

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Oct 17 23:51:38 AEST 2017

Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is an aside, but I must admit -- with a sense of mild shame --
> that the '-v' option to cat is one that I use with some regularity.

4.4BSD has the vis(1) and unvis(1) utilities which are more principled
implementations of this feature (with corresponding section 3 functions).
It's slightly annoying being on Linux without vis and having to resort to
`cat -v` like some kind of savage.

Tony.
Malin, Hebrides: North or northwest, veering southeast, 5 to 7, occasionally
gale 8 at first in Hebrides. Moderate or rough, occasionally very rough at
first. Rain or showers. Moderate or good.