[TUHS] basic tools / Universal Unix

Ronald Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Tue Oct 31 20:50:38 AEST 2017

.  make love
NOT WAR?
[4K CORE]

I’m a bizarre UNIX relic.    I never learned vi.   I went from “ed” to the various emacs variants (starting with Warren Montgomery’s EMACS, then JOVE and UNIPRESS, and later GNU).     I used INed (a commercialization of the Rand editor) but didn’t particularly like that either.    My coworkers for years would be amused when if I found the machine had no EMACS variant, I’d just use ed.    I could be startlingly fast in ed and you do learn regular expressions well if you have to do a lot of editing that way.    On a few machines where I’m confronted with VI and no ed/emacs, I just use VI in “ex” mode.