[TUHS] Why Pascal is Not My Favorite Programming Language - Unearthed!

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Sep 1 06:37:20 AEST 2017

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Toby Thain <toby at telegraphics.com.au>
wrote:

> Professor Knuth seemed to manage OK, writing TeX and METAFONT in Pascal
> ​ ​
> (using his literate programming toolset, but that did not extend the
> language much).

​Indeed - problem was it ​was in a PDP-10/20 *flavor* and would compile on
a Vax, without *much* hacking - I know I moved it once.  It was a real
PITA.    Eventually folks would migrate to C implementations.

> I suppose Apple's Pascal and Object Pascal -- used for Lisa and
> Macintosh applications and systems software -- comes under the "so
> people fixed it" category?

​That was the issue, everyone 'fixed it' and the fixes were all all
different.   Eventually market place pressure of the PC made Turbo Pascal
enough of a standard because so many people were using it, but by that
time, the war had been lost.

All the things Brian points out that made C great, made it the language
commercial folks used for both the PC and UNIX.​