[TUHS] Why Pascal is Not My Favorite Programming Language - Unearthed!

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Fri Sep 1 07:59:44 AEST 2017

On 8/31/2017 3:25 PM, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> "What?  A language without goto?"

It always made me wonder what they were hiding - piles of stuff being
pushed/popped to the stack that a goto would leave hanging?

I eschew gotos myself, especially in C. I don't use them. When I get to
the point in a program that I think about using one, I go back and
re-write the logic so it doesn't need one.

I do not, however, look down on people who DO use them. I've used them
in the past for efficiency, just not lately. You can get away with them
in C because there's no magic going on, besides what the optimizer does.

--

On 8/31/2017 5:46 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:
> Why create an entirely new language, new syntax, new linkage, etc,
> instead of fixing C's shortcomings?

I never understood the "crash and burn" logic either.

Maybe you should come up with a new C standard ;)