[TUHS] What was the first edition of UNIX that left AT&T

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Fri Sep 1 09:27:38 AEST 2017

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 06:33:04PM -0400, Clem Cole wrote:
>   I was recently asked a question that I was not sure the answer, so I
>   thought I would pass it to this group of folks.
>   What was the first edition that actually left Murray Hill and where did
>   it go?

"A Quarter Century of UNIX" says:

... after the first paper was delivered in October 1973, you could
have the bits put on your RK05 disks. In the early spring of 1974, Lou
Katz (then at Columbia University) organized a meeting of Unix users.
Columbia had been the recipient of the first distribution—first on
disk, then on 9-track tape—in the autumn (”Cy got RK05s for the department,”
Katz told me, ”but we didn’t have a drive, so I drove down
to Murray Hill and Ken cut me a 9-track tape") The meeting was held
on May 15, 1974, in the Merritt Conference Room on the third floor
of Columbia's College of Physicians and Surgeons ...

Cheers, Warren