[TUHS] Why Pascal is Not My Favorite Programming Language - Unearthed!

Kurt H Maier khm at sciops.net
Fri Sep 1 11:51:19 AEST 2017

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 06:26:55PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:

> So I'd need to understand more to believe that claim.  And for the record,
> what I'm going for is a new C that is still C enough to be useful but
> fixes the problems enough to be a new language.  Someone asked about
> C++ and D, nope.  Too far from C.  I just want a C that fixes enough
> of the problems that it is more acceptable to modern programmers but
> is still C.  Not sure if I'm explaining that well enough.

To "fix the problems" without losing functionality you need to pick a
new set of abstractions.  If you pick a new set of abstractions you've
stopped being C.  This is the gulf between C fans and the "modern"
language set.  When you file off the sharp edges, you have fewer
accidents, but you have to solve some problems differently.

khm