[TUHS] What was the first edition of UNIX that left AT&T

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Sat Sep 2 07:59:58 AEST 2017

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017, Clem Cole wrote:

> So it means that UCB was hacking privately without taking to Katz@ NYU, or
> the Columbia and Harvard folks for a while.   I need to ask Lou what he
> remembers.   UCB was not connected to the Arpanet at this point (Stanford
> was), so it's possible Ken's sabbatical openned up some channels that had
> not existed.   [UCB does not get connected until ing70 gets the
> vdh-interface up the hill to LBL's IMP as part of the Ingress project and
> that was very late in the 70s  - not long before I arrived].

Allman told me that Mike O'Malley had an ARPA connection at UCB that was
axed a few years before the INGRES link. So yes, I think no Arpanet
connection during the early BSD development work. (Losing this
connection may have had some controversy, but I don't know the details.)

Fabry told me that O'Malley used Unix for his (EECS) Artificial
Intelligence research projects before he discovered it (so before the
October 1973 Symposium).

RFC 402 of Oct 1972 has a ARPA network participant Michael O'Malley of
University of Michigan Phonetics Laboratory. Also this draft report at
http://digitalcollections.library.cmu.edu/awweb/awarchive?type=file&item=355330
about the ARPA speech recognition project lists M. H. O'Malley at UCB
and says the principle investigator from Univ. of Michigan moved to UCB.
(I never go ahold of him to see if had any other relevance to my BSD
story.)