[TUHS] Line Terminators in Text Files [Was: Re: Why Pascal is Not My Favorite Programming Language - Unearthed!]

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Sep 4 01:08:31 AEST 2017

On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 8:54 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Sep 2017, Nemo wrote:
>
> Hhhmmm... This begs the historical question:  When did LF replace CR/LF in
>> UNIX?
>>

> Unix has always used NL as the terminator :-)

<CR><LF> was the line terminator in DEC operating systems that grew up
around the same time as Unix. CP/M and MS-DOS inherited that from them
since those systems were developed, in part, using cross compilers running
on DEC gear with DEC OSes. Unix came from the Multics world where LF was
used as the line terminator... Thankfully, neither CP/M nor MS-DOS picked
up DEC's RMS...

Warner