[TUHS] Line Terminators in Text Files [

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon Sep 4 06:06:04 AEST 2017

On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 8:54 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2 Sep 2017, Nemo wrote:
>>
>> Hhhmmm... This begs the historical question:  When did LF replace CR/LF
>>> in UNIX?
>>>

>> Unix has always used NL as the terminator :-)
>

> <CR><LF> was the line terminator in DEC operating systems that grew up
> around the same time as Unix. CP/M and MS-DOS inherited that from them
> since those systems were developed, in part, using cross compilers running
> on DEC gear with DEC OSes. Unix came from the Multics world where LF was
> used as the line terminator... Thankfully, neither CP/M nor MS-DOS picked
> up DEC's RMS...
>
> Warner

​The fun story on that Warner is after years of dogged defense of RMS, when
C was written for VMS, Cutler had to add Stream I/O.   The moment is was
released, much (?most?) of customer base (including a lot of internal folks
like the compiler runtime and DB folks) switched to using it.   It was so
much easier.​  I never heard Dave back down, but it I used to smile when I
saw the statistics.