[TUHS] Follow-on to the Pascal/C/etc. discussion

Steve Johnson scj at yaccman.com
Mon Sep 4 08:53:36 AEST 2017

A great question, Jon.

Here are some things that I've stressed at times when teaching or
mentoring.

	* Realize that programming is a service profession.  A program's
users probably don't care what language it was written in or what
editor was used to write it or why it wouldn't run on their operating
system.  They have a job to do.   The challenge here is that
programming can be a lot of fun, so it can attract people who love the
act of programming and fill their programs with "neat hacks" that make
them feel good but do nothing for their users.  This is the ethical
equivalent of waiters in a restaurant standing around joking and
flirting when you are hungry and want to order.
	* Like music, programming often rewards people who get a bit obsessed
with it as youngsters and spend most of their time with it.  This can
leave the programmers very short of basic social skills such as
writing and communicating with other team members and their users.
This opens the door to the worst kind of bugs -- not doing something
wrong, but doing the wrong thing.
	* To oversimplify, every instruction in the computer either serves
the customer or the programmer.   The customer may want to multiply
matrices.  In their mind, the program is a triply nested loop with a
lot of multiplies and adds.  Those instructions belong to the
customer.  Instructions to set up call stacks, create and destroy
processes, do context switches, execute in device drivers, etc. etc.
belong to the programmers.  The more you can attack and simplify this
kind of bureaucracy in the computer, the happier both you and the user
will be.
	* If a program speeds up by a factor of 10, it becomes qualitatively
different.  Or if it slows down by a factor of 10.  Consider how
Google would feel if it took 5 seconds to respond instead of .5
seconds...   Speed is important.  In many cases that I've seen, slow
programs are slow because the "programmer's instructions" didn't
support well what the customer wanted to do...
	* Interactive programs (Shell, Python, MATLAB, etc.) are great ways
to prototype.  But beware of them as bases for production programs.
The problem is that bells and whistles can and do creep into the
language and be unnoticed because they happen within human reaction
time.  At the keyboard, you don't notice, or may even like the
features, but when you are doing something a trillion times they can
cause the "programmer instructions" to dominate the run time.  Also,
typos can lurk for years before detonating if you don't have a strong
typing and procedure definition environment.

	Hope this was the kind of thing you were looking for...

	Steve