[TUHS] Line Terminators in Text Files [Was: Re: Why Pascal isNot My Favorite Programming Language - Unearthed!]

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Tue Sep 5 21:15:49 AEST 2017

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017, at 05:37, Richard Tobin wrote:
> > As I recall, the original definition of ASCII suggested that the
> > LF character was either "line feed" or "new line", and that if it
> > *was* new-line, it would be stand-alone.
>
> I have put a copy of the original ASCII standard (scanned images) at
>
>   http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/ascii.tar
>
> I don't remember where I got it from.

I found the same document online at
http://www.worldpowersystems.com/J/codes/index.html

Incidentally, does anyone know anything about the 1961 DoD 8-bit
character set standard it refers to?

This does not appear to say anything about LF vs "Newline" (as either a
name or a function), though the 1986 version of ASCII deprecates it, so
was most likely acknowledged in versions between these in response to
practices on OSes such as Multics. ECMA-6:1973 acknowledges it, for
example (the fourth edition at
https://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-006-arch.htm).