[TUHS] Future Languages

Richard Tobin richard at inf.ed.ac.uk
Wed Sep 6 00:41:55 AEST 2017

> So we have some source (that you can have as well, Apache license)
> that handles not strings but vectors of strings (or structs or whatever).
>
> I need to write up how it works, it's sort of clever.  It stores both
> the size of the vector (always a power of 2) in part of the bits of the
> first entry and the actual length in the other part.  Because we can
> express powers of two in very little space we can support both values
> in a 32 bit unsigned with a max length of used space of around 134M.

I have something similar.  It allocates space for two ints (number
allocated and used) at ((int *)array)[-1] and [-2].

Typical use is

    LTVectorAndInit(char *, names);

    while(...)
      LTVectorPush(names, s);

    for(i=0; i<LTVectorCount(names); i++)
      ... names[i] ...;

    LTVectorFree(names);

-- Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.