[TUHS] Line Terminators in Text Files

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed Sep 6 02:05:57 AEST 2017

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 11:44 AM, Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017, at 10:46, Clem Cole wrote:
> > Except as noted, alphabetic strings may be represented in any combination
> > of upper and lower case. The only syntactic units which requires
> > preservation of case information are:
> >
> >    - local-part, except "Postmaster"
>
> So... the username portion.

​so the "postmaster" (username) does not preserve case by this rule.

It had to work that way, because CDC machines in particular in those days
had very funky character sets (lots of them actually).  IBM's were not much
better.   Remember, IBM was the primary driver behind ASCII (the System 360
was supposed to be IBM's first ASCII system).

Upper and Lower were very much a luxury because bits were expensive.  Not
just in registers, but main memory, registers, disk storage.

I think it's hard for modern users to really understand the extremes that
programmers had in those days because so much was done to encode things in
small numeric codes.   This was just another example if it.

The 8-bit 'byte' is only so because Fred Brooks, kept throwing Gene Amdahl
out of office during the 360 project.   Gene thought anything over 6 bits
was a waste.   Fred said if it was not a power of 2 don't come back, he
could not program with it.

Clem