[TUHS] File-as-record (was: Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!)

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Sat Sep 9 11:50:36 AEST 2017

I picked up a book in the early nineties called File Structures or File Systems: I've forgotten which,
because I didn't read it as much as I had intended. It covered the IBM MVS mainframe dataset file and
directory structure and the Unix file and directory structure. And yes, I was referring to the MVS dataset,
as much of it as I can remember from that book. (I sorry I can't recall the exact title: the book is
somewhere at the bottom of a pile of other books from my last move several years ago.)

Wesley Parish

Quoting Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com>:

> On Saturday, 9 September 2017 at 13:16:30 +1200, Wesley Parish wrote:
> > 'fraid so. The Unix directory structure and the correlating
> > free-form file competed with the file-as- record-structure and
> > directory-as-record-structure in the seventies and eighties. The
> > competition had finished by the nineties, and hardly anybody
> > remembers it now.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand this. Can you give an example of
> file-as-record and directory-as-record? Some of it suggests MVS, but
> not quite.
>
> Greg
> --
> Sent from my desktop computer.
> Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key.
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers.
> This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program
> reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA

"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor,
Method for Guitar

"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." -- Samuel Goldwyn