[TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!

Steve Nickolas usotsuki at buric.co
Sat Sep 9 21:19:50 AEST 2017

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017, Michael Kjörling wrote:

> On 8 Sep 2017 18:28 -0400, from usotsuki at buric.co (Steve Nickolas):
>> Heck, even MS-DOS 2 as we knew it would not have been what it was,
>> were it not for Unix.
>
> Wasn't it MS-DOS 2 that introduced such advanced features as
> directories, pipes and general console I/O redirection?

For varying degrees of "pipes"; it implemented them with a temp file.  But
yes, and that's exactly what I was referring to - it took those features
from Xenix.  The API is pretty much as Unixlike as you could get on top of
the INT21 interface and on a single-tasking system, I think.

> Of course most software that ran on top of DOS broke much of the
> redirection niceness by addressing the console directly via video
> memory access...

Of course.  But those kinds of programs often weren't the kind you'd want
to redirect anyway.

-uso.