[TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie! [ really sun vs dec/apollo ]

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Wed Sep 13 00:51:12 AEST 2017

On 2017-09-12 10:12 AM, Ronald Natalie wrote:

>> They weren't afraid to swim upstream, either. Even though NeWS never took
>> off (even when combined with an X server), it was an interesting design,
>> ahead of its time even.
>>

> NeWS had serious issues.   However, the same guy who was the NeWS proponent learned from mistakes and the result
> was the must more successful Sun tehnology:   JAVA.

It would probably befit this list and posterity to go into detail about
what those issues were.

At the time, NeWS certainly seemed to have interesting ideas far ahead
of the popular window systems (and yes we could discuss those ideas as
well. Unfortunately my NeWS developer binder is in storage and my memory
isn't reliable at that range).

--T