[TUHS] X and NeWS history (long)

Richard Tobin richard at inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu Sep 14 01:17:04 AEST 2017

> The rest of your story is great, just one small correction.  SunView started
> as something Sun specific but it pretty quickly became a library on top of
> X11.  I'm not sure if it ever worked on X10, I think it did but I'm not sure.

As I recall it, SunTools (the original Sun window system) was renamed
SunView, and the API was ported to X11 under the name XView.

> Source: I've hacked up GUI interfaces for the SCM I did at Sun in Sunview.
> This would have been around 1990, is that still X10 or X11?

X11 came out in 1987.  I The first version I remember using is X11R3,
which came out in 1988.

See https://www.x.org/wiki/X11R1 (and .../X11R2 etc)

-- Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.