[TUHS] really Pottering vs UNIX

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Fri Sep 15 07:15:25 AEST 2017

> On Sep 14, 2017, at 1:46 PM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
>
> I think you are actually touching on an idea that has been around humanity for a long time that is independent of the computer field.  We call it "good taste."  Part of acquiring good taste is learning what is in bad taste, a heavy dose of experience and frankly the ability to evaluate your own flaws.

More to do with a sense for quality. Often developed through experience
(but not just that). I think what we need is a guild system for
programmers/engineers. Being an apprentice of a master craftsman is
essential for learning this "good taste" as you call it.

> Part of "good taste" is getting the job done and on time.  Being "good enough" and moving on to the next thing.   Sun (certainly at the beginning) was pretty good at this idea.   The UNIX team clearly got a lot of it right.

Agreed.

[Just nitpicking here! I think we agree on the underlying concept]