[TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Fri Sep 15 09:14:03 AEST 2017

> On Sep 14, 2017, at 4:04 PM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
> First off, this sounds cool! One nit pick though...
>
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 4:52 PM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
> It takes about 15 seconds to compile all the tools at present.
>
> If you want to replicate the old-school Unix experience, you'd need it to take more like 15 hours to compile all the tools :)
>
> My DEC Rainbow running Venix (v7 port) takes about 15 hours to build the bits of the v7 tree that build on it. I don't have the sources to Venix, but a long-term project is to recreate them using the compiler supplied and comparison to the binaries shipped...

You can do better than your old-school Unix experience with a pi and linux :-)
On the 1st gen RasPi the linux kernel took 10+ hours to build from scratch.
In contrast the plan9 kernel took one minute. The equivalent of FreeBSD's
"make world" for plan9 took 4 minutes. IIRC half of it was for ghostscript.