[TUHS] Writable Control Store and UNIX

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Sep 16 04:47:54 AEST 2017

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

> Why not just write a Unix-native one? They aren't that much work - I
> created a
> ​ ​
> uassembler overnight (literally!) for the QSIC project Dave Bridgham and I
> ​ ​
> have been working on.

​Agreed Terry Hayes, tjt and I hacked an assembler and loader for Masscomp
together years ago pretty fast.   We actually, made all those tools look a
lot like the DEC ones because a lot of same HW people were writing the
uCode for the Masscomp FP/APs as had written the much of the 11 and Vax
code​.

[Fun story, that a few other tools that had been written for UNIX that
patriots older RSX/VMS support tools were quietly traded to DEC WRL for
some HW libraries.   We both were using the same brand CAD system and our
HW guys wanted some design rule stuff WRL had done for Jupiter, and they
wanted UNIX based tools to run on Ultrix].

As for Tektronix earlier, we did not know much about the WSC unit and
basically the CSAV/CRET stuff was supposed to be a one shot thing.    We
just wanted to use the tool that came with it; cause we did not think we
were going to do much with it.   In hind sight and knowing what I would
learn 3-5 years later, writing our own would have made more sense; but I'm
not sure it was very well documented.

Clem