[TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Sep 16 13:40:32 AEST 2017

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 05:35:35PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:39:05PM -0700, Kurt H Maier wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:15:32PM -0400, Steve Nickolas wrote:
> > >
> > > Isn't that pretty much just Lennart Poettering and his fan club?
> > >

> > It's right there in the name "GNU" as well.  There's a whole generation
> > of computer people out here for whom bash and gawk are fossilized in
> > their substrata, and they get mad when someone suggests maybe other
> > tools exist.
>
> The use of "GNU" as in "GNU/Linux" is something that was pushed by
> Stallman and the Free Software Foundation, and actively abosed, or
> mostly ignored by the majority of the Linux community.

As well it should be.  My colors are showing here, but I'm really sick
of the FSF slapping their name on other people's work.  If Stallman
wants it to be called GNU/Linux let him write a kernel.  He didn't,
he can't, yet he wants credit.  I got pretty disgusted back in the day
when everything that was GPLed suddenly became a GNU project.  The GNU
guys have written very, very little code.

They are all about the license, which is fine, but I get off the bus
when they are claiming credit for work they did not do.