[TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!

Chet Ramey chet.ramey at case.edu
Mon Sep 18 04:49:16 AEST 2017

On 9/17/17 1:19 AM, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
> RMS wrote GCC initially.  And Emacs if that's what you use. And GDB
> initially as well. RMS did Texinfo (even if you don't like it yourself,
> it's a very nice markup language).
>
> Bash, gawk, sed, grep, coreutils were (and still are) maintained by
> unpaid volunteers, true, but they all were started for the GNU project.
> (Bash in the early days may have been funded by the FSF.)

I remember multiple FSF efforts to solicit volunteers for named projects.
There were lots of people willing to donate their time and effort. And
at that time, there were very few non-FSF projects licensed under the GPL,
so the issue of "absorbtion" was minor to non-existent.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/