[TUHS] And now ... Weirdnix?

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Mon Sep 18 18:31:06 AEST 2017

That Pr1me had a Unix emulation layer is news to me (I think). I worked
on the Georgia Tech Software Tools Subsystem for Pr1me Computers for
several years. (Oh, how I wish I had saved that last release tape!!!)

Primos was a terribly weird OS, but the SWT subsystem made it almost
Unix-like and very pleasant and usable.  The mark parity business
was only one of the weirdnesses of that machine.  Georgia Tech even
had a C compiler for it. sizeof(char) was 1, of course, but it was 16
bits, because the instruction mode used didn't have 8 bit byte pointers.

I can't claim credit for GT-SWT; I came along after it was mature
and stable, but I did do a few nice things.

Arnold