[TUHS] PDP-10 UNIX?

Chris Torek torek at torek.net
Tue Sep 19 06:08:05 AEST 2017

>> After the first time, there is little to learn, and the tedium of
>> debugging a compiler and OS on a bare machine, when the documentation of
>> the machine was hastily written and often incomplete, was frustrating
>> almost beyond describing.

>+1  And the HW does [not] quite work the way it claimed too....
>It's fun ... once  :-)

I've done more than one, although it was the "same machine" in
various ways: SPARC v7, v8, and v9, on sun4c, sun4m, and sun4u.

The sun4u was the most frustrating hardware-bug-wise.  The
architecture book specifically said that the indexing in the cache
(left vs right half, as it were) was strictly based on the virtual
address bits, but in fact, this wasn't true: the hardware looked
in both halves and would return data from the "wrong half" if it
was still present there.  (It would only store *new* cache entries
in the correct half, so if you did eager flush it would work the
same way, but if you did lazy flush like we did, well...)

There was also an ALU forwarding bug.  If you took a trap, and in
the trap handler, computed values in the right (wrong) order, a
register could get the wrong result stored in it.  This only
happened after traps, but I proved it using a software trap.  It
was hitting my interrupt handler about 1 out of every few hundred
thousand times (resulting in kernel panic); using the software trap
I could see it less dramatically, and prove that re-ordering the
instructions or adding a NOP in the pipeline would fix it.

Chris