[TUHS] PDP-10 UNIX?

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Tue Sep 19 06:22:31 AEST 2017

Clem Cole wrote:
> > > There was a PDP-10 C compiler in the late 1970s, that was kicking
> > > around CMU, MIT and Stanford
> > When you say MIT, do you know if that was at the AI lab (i.e. ITS),
> > or elsewhere?
> I thought there was a copy on ITS at one point. You tell me. I know it
> was at CMU as I used it there. Many/Most of the compilers we had we
> also at Stanford and MIT modulo differences in the OS environments.

In the ITS files from 1990, I have found two C compilers:
- C10 by Alan Snyder,
- and an incomplete port of KCC.

The KCC files seem to be from the late 80s.  Alan Snyders thesis is from
1973 and mentions the PDP-10.  So I wonder C10 if went from MIT to CMU
and Stanford, or if there's some other compiler which came to MIT?